Monday, November 24, 2014

A foreboding and mysterious dramatic thriller that leaves you guessing

Gone girl is directed by David Fincher staring Ben Affleck and Rosamund Pike. Before I get to much into this review I will try not to spoil any major plot details on the film. This was a very interesting film, I had not read the novel but from what I heard it stays pretty true to it. This film has some major themes about marriage, media and manipulation, witch makes you think about the circumstances this film throws at you.


When a man comes home to find his wife is missing and signs of struggle, he calls the police and a huge investigation comes up. You immediately start to point your finger at the husband thinking that did he murder his wife or that there is something more diabolical going on here. the movie has some great cinematography, displaying a very dark tone of mystery and something deeper that's going on in the background. The film has an amazingly dark score from Trent Reznor and Atticus Ross as David Fincher loves to use their collaboration in his films.


About half way through the movie it starts to take some very drastic turns that I had no idea were coming, witch really surprised me about the movie, most of the way through I thought it would be more of a murder mystery but turns into something totally different. Tyler Perry did a surprisingly fantastic job as the lawyer and made me laugh in a lot of the scenes he was in. There are some weaknesses in the movie though, I believe the 3rd act could of been a little shorter and Neil Patrick Harris's character felt a little awkward and out of place but that's really it. This is a very strong Fall film and probably one of my favorite of the year.



Overall this is a solid title and a very thought provoking one at that. It touches on subjects and matters that will have people talking about this movie for months to come. If the movie would of been just a little bit shorter I would probably give a perfect score but still a great one. I recommend anyone interested in seeing it to check it out.


                                                                                                              9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment